Monday, March 26, 2007

Wh☼'s MeditÆ╩i0ñ


The following is my review of a book we were reading as interns at East Bayou. The main thing i talked about is obvious. comments with your own thoughts on the topic are what i want so give them to me. verses would be cool too.


MEDItation


I was interested in the book at the beginning chapters. I was excited to read and be able to discuss it, but after I realized that the participation in discussion was becoming mundane, I kind of got turn off by it. I love being able to hear other people's thoughts on topics that are hard to answer. So I'm hoping the next book will be very interesting. The only chapter that really affected me and made me think was the one on meditation. so i will talk about that one. I only read prob only read through 5-7 chapters. but the meditation was my favorite. I couldn't really relate to other chapters or they just seemed too repetitive.I never really thought about mediation and usually just left it to Buddha and yoga tree hugger people. I always thought meditation was some creepy way to enter into self realization or getting psychologically high. After reading that chapter I realized that important people in the bible meditated too. Meditation isn't crossing your legs (which is already uncomfortable for my inflexible body) and humming.I had never thought of it as a means of just "listening." My prayer life was listening AND talking. If you know me well enough, you know I'm not one to be able to sit still for a while and much less shut up. So meditating seemed out of the question, but prayer was simple for me(maybe too simple). I've tried to meditate a couple of times now but never really can grasp it. It also talked about being in constant meditation. Can meditation be just looking for answers to prayer from God? Does it have to be sitting quietly¿ So now I'm constantly just praying and hoping that when I'm "listening" at random times in my life that I can see/hear God's presence or voice(the whole voice thing is a completely different topic).

3 Comments:

Blogger scott said...

first of all welcome back to blogging.

meditation to me is very much like what you first explained it as. maybe i would have to read the book to understand it better. i am definitely with you on the not sitting still thing. i cant sit still to do things that it like doing much less sit there and THINK or LISTEN. not happening for me.

March 26, 2007 at 7:00 PM

 
Blogger Sean Walker said...

I heard a guy recently say (I don't know if it was on the radio or on a sermon or something), that people just don't think anymore. And he didn't mean that just do stupid things, but he was expliaining how too often we don't stop and spend some time thinking about things.

I applied that to my meditation time with God. Too often I just say quick prayers and expect God to move or to do something b/c he owed me an answer simply b/c I prayed for it for .5 seconds.

How much more will God speak to me if I pour over His word serching and meditating on what He's already said?

March 26, 2007 at 10:47 PM

 
Blogger padre said...

Meditation is like chewing a piece of gum till you get every every last piece of scrumptous flavor, then leave it in your mouth and pop in another fresh piece. wow, you can really get some mileage outta that piece. so, as we get a verse or passage we think about it over and over and over like chewing the gum and then hitter another lick.

it's really like a cow as they chew their cud. check out how cows chew and have a couple of stomachs and chew it again. wow, that's like eating for a second time a delicious meal you've barfed. would that be double dipping?

March 27, 2007 at 7:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home